COVID-19 Workplace Exposure and Return to Work Guidelines
Purpose: Limit the number of ill team members and potential for outbreaks by quickly and effectively removing team members from work, monitoring symptoms, and returning to campus as soon as safely possible. All team members should engage in physical distancing, frequent handwashing, and the wearing of a mask or face covering while at work. Flu shots should be a priority as well.
All protocols are subject to change as better information and testing become available. Provider discretion and clinical judgment will be utilized in situations that are unclear.
Alternatives (in italics) are to be utilized in times of perceived low risk.
Team members may reach out to SALTA with concerns regarding an exposure or symptoms:
1. Primary Exposure (direct contact with COVID+ individual – clarified by the CDC on 10/21/20 as someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period, starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic patients, 2 days prior to testing specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.)
2. Primary Exposure (direct contact with person with URI symptoms/unconfirmed COVID)
3. Secondary Exposure (contact with a person who had contact with a COVID+ individual)
If team member develops symptoms consistent with COVID:
Return to work can happen in a variety of ways:
2. Symptoms and COVID PCR Positive:
3. Symptoms and COVID PCR Negative
4. Asymptomatic and COVID PCR Positive
Any time off of work (in-person or remote work) will depend on the severity of the team member’s condition and will be communicated clearly to the employer with written documentation.
Experience, Training and/or Education
Physicians and Physician Assistants will be utilizing this guide for clinical decision-making
Related Links or References
*This aligns with the current (as of 12/9/2020) Oakland County Health Department recommendations
**This assumes access to accurate PCR testing with a quick turnaround time